Learn more about internal medicine, which focuses on
diagnosing and treating adult illness.
Internal medicine is a medical specialty dealing with
the long-term, comprehensive management of both common and complex medical
illnesses of adolescents (age 16 and older), adults and the elderly.
Internal medicine physicians typically treat internal disorders e.g.,
diabetes, gastrointestinal tract problems, allergies, immune system
abnormalities, stress-related disorders and many other problems.
A physician trained in internal medicine is often referred to as an
internist. The internists of our practice typically perform the following
- Provide ongoing care for those with chronic illnesses e.g., diabetes,
hypertension or cardiac conditions
- Treat common health problems e.g., allergies, infections, influenza or
- Examine and diagnose patients using medical equipment, instruments and
- Prescribe and administer drugs and treatments
- Immunize patients to protect them from preventable diseases
- Perform physical exams for school, athletics and employment
- Provide routine gynecological care (e.g., pap smears and